Top > International Patients > FAQ


Are international patients also covered by Japanese National Insurance Program?

No. Japanese National Health Insurance program DO NOT cover patients without Japanese National Health Insurance Card. At the Tokyo University Hospital, international patients without the Insurance Card will be billed on a private care basis. Total billing may be significantly higher compared to the average of the Insurance Card holders. Please be sure to contact International Medical Center for information on the approximate costs before proceeding with your plan to visit us for medical care.

What services does the IMC (International Medical Center) provide?

We strive to improve the environment for the acceptance of international patients or international health care professionals as an internal facilitator of the University of Tokyo Hospital.

What interpretation services do you offer?

Most doctors speak English, though their fluency may vary.
Interpreters are available with charge. Request must be made in advance. Availability may be limited depending on languages.

Will there be a safe deposit box in the patient room to keep passport and cash?

Yes, there is a small safe deposit box. However we do not take any responsibility for loss or damage to personal belongings.

Visiting an inpatient

Please apply for your visit at the General Information counter in Ward A.
[Visiting hours: 7:00 to 20:00]

Where can I keep my luggage?

Luggage and other items may be stored in your room. However we do not take any responsibility for loss or damage to personal belongings.

Can you negotiate with my insurance company?

No. We do not directly negotiate with private companies.

Can a detailed medical cost quotation breakdown for insurance company be issued?

Yes. It can be issued on request.

Are medical reports available in English?

Yes. It may be prepared on request.

Are itemized bill available in English?

Yes. It may be prepared on request.

Which credit card can be accepted?

We accept the following cards: Visa, MasterCard, DC card, JCB, American Express, Diners card. However, please confirm your credit card company if your card is accepted in Japan.

Can the guarantor be my spouse?

The joint guarantor shall be an identifiable person who earns a living independently and is able to pay the fee. If he/she meets these conditions, he/she can be the guarantor.

What kind of ID document shall I prepare for admission?

Please bring your passport.

Can the receipt be reissued?

We do not reissue the receipt.
However a "receipt certificate" can be issued for additional 2,100 yen.

How can I get a medical Visa? 

Please see the official site of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Japan.

Do you accept patients without referral from a doctor?

No. A formal referral via a coordinator or facilitator is required for international patients.

Can I make an appointment just for a medical/physical diagnostic testing? 

No. The need for medical/physical diagnostic testing will be decided and ordered by physicians.

Can I use a prescription from another country?

No, pharmacists cannot fill your foreign prescription. You will need to see a doctor in Japan for prescription refill.

Where can I get more information on your services?

Please contact us at ””; however please understand that we may need some time to reply to your email.

page top