Top > About Us > History

History

1858 May Kanda Otamaga-ike Vaccination Center established
1861 October The Center renamed Seiyo Igaku-sho (Institute of Western Medicine)
1863 February Seiyo Igaku-sho renamed Igaku-sho (Institute of Medicine)
1868 July Yokohama Military Hospital relocated to the former Todo residence in the Kanda Izumibashi District and renamed Main Hospital; Igakusho (Institute of Medicine) brought under the Main Hospital.
1869 February Igaku-sho (Institute of Medicine) merged with Main Hospital and begins operation as a medical school
1869 December The merged entity renamed Daigaku-Higashiko (University of the East)
1871 July Daigaku-Higashiko (University of the East) renamed Higashiko (School of the East)
1872 August School of the East renamed Daiichi Diagaku-ku Igakko (The First University District Medical School)
1874 May Daiichi Daigaku-ku Igakko (The First University District Medical School) renamed Tokyo Igakko (Tokyo Medical School)
1876 November School buildings, dormitories, and hospital of Tokyo Medical School built in the former Kagahan residence area in Hongo Motofuji-cho
Tokyo Medical School Main Building (1876)

Tokyo Medical School Main Building (1876)

Tokyo Medical School Hospital (1876)

1959 April Clinical Laboratory reorganized into the Central
Clinical Laboratory and Central Clinical Services
1960 January Department of Plastic Surgery established
1960 March Central Clinical Services installed X-ray equipment
1961 February Emergency Room established under Department of Central Surgery
1962 August Departments of Geriatric Medicine and Anesthesiology established
1963 April Emergency Room becomes independent from Department of Centra Surgery and renamed Department of Emergency Services
1963 June Photo Center established under Central Clinical Services
1963 July Kinesitherapy Clinic established under Central Clinical Services
1964 April Central Supply established
1964 August Central Radiology established; Central Clinical Services started offering X-ray and other radiation services
1965 January Department of Thoracic Surgery established
1965 April Department of Neurology established
1966 July Central Clinical Services’ Kinesitherapy Clinic reorganized into the Rehabilitation Center along with the newly established Hydrotherapy Unit, Work Therapy Unit, and other therapeutic units.
1970 January Rehabilitation Center reorganized into Department of Rehabilitation Medicine and becomes independent of Central Clinical Services.
Central Clinical Laboratory and Central Clinical Services reorganized,respectively, into the First and Second Sections of the Central Clinical Laboratory
1971 August Department of Pediatric Surgery established
1973 February Hospital operations computerized
1975 March Pediatric Postoperative ICU established
1975 November Pathology Laboratory reorganized into the Department of Pathology and becomes independent of Central Clinical Laboratory
1976 January Department of Corneal Transplantation started operation
1976 May In response to the revision of the National School Establishment Law, the General Chief Nurse System reorganized into the Nursing Department System and the position of General Chief Nurse renamed Manager of the Department of Nursing
1978 April Central Information Processing established
1983 April Department of Central Medical Information established
1987 October Construction of the New Central Clinical Services Building (current Central Clinical Services Building 1) completed
1988 April Central Clinical Laboratory, Central Surgery, Central Radiology, and Central Supply renamed, respectively, Clinical Laboratory, Surgical Center, Radiological Center and Supply Center.
1991 January Department of Hospital Infection Control (renamed Infection Control and Prevention Center in September 1993) established
Panoramic view of the Outpatient Clinic

Panoramic view of the Outpatient Clinic
(Current Administration & Research building, 1934)

One-storied hospital ward used until the end of 1961

One-storied hospital ward used until the end of 1961
(Used as the medical offces until 1965).

Panoramic view of the University of Tokyo Hospital circa 1930

Panoramic view of the University of Tokyo Hospital circa 1930

1993 April Pediatric Postoperative ICU renamed Intensive Care Unit
1993 December Construction of the New Outpatient Clinical Building completed
1994 July New Outpatient Clinical Building (current Outpatient Clinical Building) opened for service
1995 April Certified as an ‘Advanced Treatment Hospital’
1995 June Department of Cell Therapy and Transplantation Medicine established
1996 May Department of Cell Therapy and Transplantation Medicine established
1997 April Department of Endoscopy and Endoscopic Surgery and Medical and Social Welfare Services established
1998 April Clinical Divisions and Departments reorganized into 6 Divisions and 37 Departments
1999 April Department of Hemodialysis and Apheresis established
2000 May Certified as a “Brain-Dead Donor Liver Transplant Hospital”
2000 October Construction of the New Inpatient Ward building completed
2001 April University Branch Hospital merged with the University Hospital
Department of Maternal, Fetal, and Neonatal Medicine, Rehabilitation Center, Medical Engineering and Supply Center, Clinical Research Center, the Office of Medical Services, and Medical Safety
Management office established
2001 September New Inpatient Ward building (current Inpatient Ward A building) opened for service
2001 October Department of Tissue Engineering established
2002 January Department of Clinical Genome Informatics established
2002 July Department of Cooperative Medicine and Engineering Research established
General Education Center established
2002 October Certified as a “Heart Transplant Hospital”
2003 April Department of Central Medical Information reorganized into the Department of Planning, Information, and Management
University Hospital Medical Information Network Center (UMIN), Department of Organ Transplantation, Department of Palliative Medicine, and Department of Planning established
2003 September Department of Clinical Genomics established
2003 December Clinical Record Office established
2004 January Labor Safety and Health Office established
2004 April In response to the establishment of the National University Incorporation Law (Law No. 112 of 2003), the University of Tokyo renamed the University of Tokyo, National University Corporation Department of Nutrition established (separated from the Office of Medical Services) Outpatient Chemotherapy Division established
2004 September Department of Public Relations established
Ward A (2000)

Ward A (2000)

Central Clinical Service Bldg.2 (2006)Panoramic view of the current University of Tokyo Hospital

Central Clinical Service Bldg.2 (2006)Panoramic view of the current University of Tokyo Hospital

2005 January Accredited by the Japan Council for Quality Health Care
2005 April Medical Engineering and Supply Center divided into the Department of Medical Engineering and Central Supply Services
Department of Medical and Social Work reorganized into the Department of Medical Community Network and Discharge Planning
Department of Child Psychiatry established
2005 July Administration reorganized
2005 October Management Strategy Group reorganized into Office of Management Planning
2005 December Infection Control Center established
Department of Medical Safety Management renamed Medical Safety Management Center
2006 January Translational Research Center and the 22nd Century Medical and Research Center established
2006 March Construction of the Second Central Clinical Services building (current Central Clinical Services Building 2) completed
2006 April Hospitality Center, Cancer Board, Tissue Bank, and Office of University/ Corporate Relations established
2007 January Patient Support and Clinical Ethics Center, Center for Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, and Vascular Board established
2007 April Icho Kindergarten (in-hospital Kindergarten) opened
2008 April Cancer Resource Center, Database Center of the National University
Hospitals, and Outpatient Chemotherapy Unit established
Office of University / Corporate Relations, and Public Relations reorganized into Center for Liaison and Public Relations
2009 April Medical Specialists Training Center established
2009 November Department of Health Record Management established
2010 April Clinical Research Center reorganized into Clinical Research Support Center established
2010 December Critical Care Center established
2011 April Department of Maternal, Fetal, and Neonatal Medicine reorganized into Perinatal Center established
Department of Clinical Genome Informatics and Department of Clinical Genomics reorganized into Center for Genome Medicine established
2011 August Unit for Early and Exploratory Clinical Development established
2012 April Department of Disaster Medical Management established
2012 November Neonatal and Pediatric Intensive Care Unit and Children’s Medical Center reorganized into Children’s Medical Center
International Medical Center established
2013 April Department of Nutrition reorganized into Department of Clinical Nutrition Therapy established
2013 June Department of Performance Monitoring, Risk Management, and Staff
Development and Department of Education and Research Support reorganized into Department of Performance Monitoring and Risk Management. Department of Education and Staff Development, and Department of Research Support
2014 April Central Office for Development of Advanced Medicine established
2015 Janurary Department of Clinical Research Governance established Central Office for Development of Advanced Medicine merged with Department of Clinical Research Governance
2015 October Perioperative Assessment Center established
2015 December The Clinical Research Building A-I is completed
2016 February The construction of the Molecular & Life Innovation Building is completed in the Hospital Area
2016 March The hospital receives approval as a “clinical research core hospital”

page top